The Western Union Company Publishes Corporate Responsibility Report
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – May 15, 2014 – The Western Union Company (NYSE: WU), a leader in global payment services, today announced the release of its first corporate responsibility report, covering 2012 and 2013. The report provides stakeholders with a view into the company’s corporate responsibility efforts, which include:
- Conducting Our Business Responsibly: How Western Union operates in a way that empowers our customers and respects our employees, suppliers, agents, and the environment.
- Creating Shared Value: How Western Union products and services benefit society while helping to make our business more competitive.
- Investing in People and Communities: How Western Union supports communities, develops our global talent base, and engages with key stakeholders.
“I believe Western Union is a purpose-driven brand,” said Hikmet Ersek, President and CEO of Western Union. “We create opportunity through essential products and services, ethical governance, efficient operations and a long-standing commitment to financial inclusion. Our 2012-2013 report provides an unprecedented look into the many facets of our business. As we continue to transform the company to meet the needs of an increasingly digitized world, this report serves as a reminder to our employees, investors and business partners that one thing is unchanging – our belief in responsible individual and corporate behavior.”
Highlights of the Global Reporting Initiative G3.1 C level report include:
- Expenditures of more than $150 million on compliance and regulatory programs in 2013
- Development of NGO GlobalPay, a shared value product that helps non-governmental organizations move funds where they are needed, often to remote and hazardous areas
- Partnership with the Better Business Bureau to raise awareness about consumer scams
- Participation in the Blue Campaign, an anti-human trafficking initiative spearheaded by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Implementation of Education for Better, a three-year commitment to growing young minds through access to quality education for all
The full report is available for download at http://corporate.westernunion.com/Corporate_Citizenship.html.
For more information about Western Union’s corporate responsibility efforts, please email email@example.com.
About Western Union
The Western Union Company (NYSE: WU) is a leader in global payment services. Together with its Vigo, Orlandi Valuta, Pago Facil and Western Union Business Solutions branded payment services, Western Union provides consumers and businesses with fast, reliable and convenient ways to send and receive money around the world, to send payments and to purchase money orders. As of March 31, 2014, the Western Union, Vigo and Orlandi Valuta branded services were offered through a combined network of over 500,000 agent locations in 200 countries and territories and over 100,000 ATMs. In 2013, The Western Union Company completed 242 million consumer-to-consumer transactions worldwide, moving $82 billion of principal between consumers, and 459 million business payments. For more information, visit www.westernunion.com.
# # #
Andrew Silver, Western Union Corporate Communications
Joy Miller, Western Union Social Ventures